About Our School
The Saint Sophia Hellenic Academy proudly continues a long history of teaching the Greek language and culture. It started in 1920, as a Greek Language School, holding classrooms in several locations in East and Southwest Los Angeles, Hollywood, Huntington Park and San Pedro.
Teaching in satellite locations continued until 1957 when the Charles P. Skouras Memorial Centre opened its classrooms on the grounds of the beautiful Saint Sophia Cathedral.
In 1995, shortly after Father John Bakas became the Dean of Saint Sophia Cathedral, a new name was given to the Greek Language School, presently known as the Hellenic Academy. In anticipation of our marvelous new buildings, in the heart of the Byzantine-Latino Quarter, the academy, as a vital Ministry of Saint Sophia Cathedral, aims at further contributing to the cultural growth of the constantly developing area.